Fish dishes are the favorite items for everyone especially Keralites. So they need to have fish dishes at least one time in a day. Fish dishes have the capacity to increase the taste of food. Fish curry, Fish fry and Fish pickle are the main dishes of Fish. Mashed Tapioca and Fish curry are the tasty and special combination for Keralites and it was the main secret of the old generation's health and strength. Fishes were healthy at that time but now we are getting fishes from markets with highly poison but also Keralites can't think life without fish dishes. I have shared many dishes earlier and today also I am going to share one another tasty Coconut Fish Curry. Many methods are there to make Fish curry. Some fish curry is very famous because of its place name such as Malabar Fish curry and Chettinad Fish curry. Fish curry is healthy comparing fish fry. Here, I used both grated Coconut and Coconut Milk. It is not spicy dish and it is really tasty Fish curry. This is super combination with Chapati, Rice and Bread. I used Mackerel fish but you can use any fish which you like. It is traditional dish with the flavour of Fenugreek Seeds and Garlic.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Fish - 1 kg
Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Shallots - 10
Onion - 1
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Gambooge - 4 Pieces
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut Milk - 1/4 Cup
Coconut Oil - 2 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - Required for cooking
- Clean Fish well and remove its head and tail and cut it as medium size pieces and wash it well with Water and keep it aside.
- Remove the peels of Onion and Shallots and wash well and slice it thin.
- Wash Green Chilli well and chop it.
- Sock Gambooge pieces in Water to become soft.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, chopped Green Chilli, some Curry Leaves, Salt and pour a little Water and make thick and fine paste.
- Heat a pan and heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- Add Fennel Seeds Powder into this and fry it well.
- To this add chopped Ginger and chopped Garlic and fry well.
- Add Curry Leaves, sliced Onion and sliced Shallots and Salt to taste and saute well until get Brown colour.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder Black Pepper Powder and saute well until remove raw taste and smell.
- Then add thick and fine Coconut paste and mix well.
- Then add socked Gambooge with Water and pour enough Water for cooking and boil it well under high flame.
- Add well cleaned and washed Fish pieces into this and boil it well under high flame for 5 minutes.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame and make it thick as desired.
- Pour Coconut Milk into this and turn off the fire when it starts to boil and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it hot with Chapati, Bread and Rice.
- To get good taste add one sliced Tomato to this dish.
- You can use any fish to make this types of Fish Curry.
- It will be tastier if use only Shallots instead Onion.
- If you need more Red colour add more Chilli Powder instead Black Pepper Powder.
- Try to add enough Gambooge to this dish. Its taste will go off if you add more quantity of Gambooge.
- This Fish curry should have equal taste of both sour and spices so add these ingredients based on that.
- You have to cook it under medium flame to get good taste and remove bad smell of Fish. So you need not to cook it under high flame and use high flame at the first time for boiling.