'Dry Red Chilli Chutney' this name is not that much familiar but it is very popular with another name is called 'Mulaku Chammanthi'. It is one favourite item for Keralites. This is very spicy Chutney and we can identity with this name. I need not to introduce about this Chutney to Keralites because it is mouth watering item for them. It can be made by using different ways. Some people are making this with roasted ingredients and some others are making it without roasted ingredients. You can make any difference based on your taste or preference. It is one tasty and delicious Kerala style Chutney. Many Chutney are there in out of Kerala. Chilli Chutney, Green Chilli Chutney, Mint Chutney and Coriander Chutney are the most popular Chutney dishes in North India. These all are prepared by Keralites also. Chutney dishes will have a variety taste as comparing other dishes and it can make with limited ingredients. This types of dishes are the main secret of the health of old generation. They were using dry Red Chilli Chutney with boiled Tapioca and it is very good combination so I also tried this many times. I used very less ingredients to make this and all ingredients will be there in all houses so it can make at any time whenever we need it. It can be store only for 2 days if keep it in refrigerator but it is good if use fresh Chutney. It is having the mixed taste of sour, spice, Garlic and Shallots taste. Kitchen will have nice smell when make this tasty and spicy Chutney. I used roasted ingredients to make this so I sure that this will be liked by everyone. It is not that much suitable for children so avoid it from them. To get homely feeling I used Coconut Oil to make this.
Preparation Time - 5 Minutes
Cooking Time - 5 Minutes
Dry Red Chilli - 10
Garlic Cloves - 3
Shallots - 5
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Tamarind Paste - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Hot Water - 2 teaspoon
Salt - To Taste
- Peel the skins of Shallots and wash well and chop it well.
- Remove the peel of Garlic Cloves and wash it well.
- Heat a pan and pour Coconut Oil and heat it well.
- Add chopped Shallots and Garlic and saute well until Golden Brown colour and remove it from pan and keep it aside in a bowl.
- To this pan, add dried Red Chilli and fry it well.
- Add Curry Leaves to this and fry it well.
- Turn off the fire and add Turmeric Powder and Tamarind Paste and mix well.
- Add enough Salt into this and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and leave it for sometimes to cool well.
- Add this in a grinder and add fried Shallots and Garlic and pour hot Water and make it thick fine paste and mix well.
- Put it in a serving bowl and serve it with boiled Tapioca, Idly, Dosa, Curd Rice and steamed Rice.
- It can make with Red Chilli Powder instead dry Red Chilli.
- We can use Onion instead Shallots but Shallots can give good taste.
- You can make it with by using any vegetable Oil.
- You can adjust the quantity of spices and Tamarind Paste as per your taste.
- You can use some Ginger if you like its flavour.
- To get thick Chutney add a little Water.
- You can crush it if you like crushed Chutney. I like pasted Chutney so made it as paste.
- You can store it for 2 days if you keep it in refrigerator.