Red cow peas stir fry is one special curries which is usually prepared by Keralites. This is Kerala style dish and it also known as vanpayar thoran. This is an excellent combination with Rice and Rice Soup for lunch and dinner. Keralites are mainly serving it with kanji. It can also serve as the side dish with chapati and appam. We can prepare and use this on daily basis. I have prepared this curry so many times at my home because I like it very much. This is spicy- less dish and very tasty dish and we can prepare this very easily at home. This curry is completely homemade, natural and chemical free. Main ingredients of this recipe are grated coconut and vanpayar so that the main flavours are coconut and vanpayar. We have to soak vanpayar in water overnight to prepare this curry. I have soaked vanpayar one night and cooked because it will become very soft so that we can cook it very easily that's why we can save time. Otherwise it will not become soft and taste also will change and will take time to cook. At least we have to soak in water for 30 minutes. Vanpayar is very good to health especially for vegetarians because it contains a lot of proteins. This is very good dish to everyone including kids. We can get Red cow peas at any time on market.
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Decoration - Curry leaves
Vanpayar Or Red Cow Peas - 1 cup
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic - 3
Chopped Onion - 2
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Green Chilli - 1
Coconut Oil - 2 tab spoon
Water - 2 cups
Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
- Wash Vanpayar or Red Cow Peas well and soak it in 1 cup water overnight.
- Wash it well next day and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Then pour 1/2 cup water in a pressure cooker and cover the cooker with lid and cook it until 1 whistle.
- Add salt to this after cooking and mix.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash it and chop it.
- Then crush Coconut, Turmeric powder, cumin seeds, garlic, Chopped Onion, Red chilli powder, Green Chilli, curry leaves together in a grinder.
- In a pan, Heat oil and add mustard seeds splutter it.
- Then add curry leaves and saute it well.
- Then add crushed mixture into this and saute it well for 1 minute.
- Then add cooked vanpayar or Red Cow Peas to this and stir well for one minute.
- Turn off the fire and decorate with curry leaves and serve it with hot plain Rice.
- To get softness and big size sock it in water for at least 30 minutes before using it.
- It would be better if you use pepper powder to get spicy.
- To get nice smell use ginger with garlic.
|Red Cow Peas Stir Fry|