Green Peas is very good vegetable item which is very useful for vegetarians. We can get fresh Green Peas with attractive Green colour in super markets. But fresh Green Peas will not available in every store so we can use dried Green Peas to make dishes. We can store it for long terms and every house will have Green Peas at any time. Every Green Peas dishes are really tasty and Green Peas is my favourite item. Today I made Green Peas masala curry which is made by Dried Green Peas. I didn't get fresh Green Peas so I used it. Its taste will increase if you use fresh Green Peas. It is an excellent combination with Rice, Chapati and Appam. Mainly I am using it as the side dish with Appam for breakfast. I have made it so many times in my house because everyone in my family likes this very much especially my father. Its gravy is very thick and it can make very easily at home. This dish will be available in some hotels for breakfast. I have tasted if from some hotels in Kerala. Dishes will have good taste if mix Tomato and masala powders. This is completely traditional dish and usually traditional dishes will have good taste without adding any artificial ingredients, so everybody is searching the place where getting traditional dishes. This dish is very healthy dish because it contains fibers. This dish is having the smell and flavours of Garam Masala Powder and Cumin Seeds Powder.
Cooking Time - 30 minutes
Green Peas - 1 cup
Onion - 2
Tomato - 2
Ginger - 1 piece
Garlic - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Shallot - 3
Water - As required to cooking.
Salt - To taste
- Wash green peas well and sock it in water overnight to become soft.
- Put it in a pressure cooker and pour water as required.
- To this add onion and salt and cover with lid and cook it until 2 whistles and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped ginger and garlic and stir well.
- Then add curry leaves and stir well.
- To this add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and stir well for some times.
- Make tomato paste by using grinder and add to this and mix well.
- Make grated coconut paste and add to this and stir well.
- Then add cooked green peas to this and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and boil well.
- Then add garam masala powder and cumin powder and mix well and serve it.
- We have to sock Green Peas in Water overnight to become soft and reduce cooking time.
- To get thickness and good taste use Coconut Milk to cook instead of using Water.
- To get another taste use Fennel Seeds Powder instead of using Cumin Seeds Powder.