Every Christians are celebrating Maundy Thursday today. It is one of the special celebrations for Christians. Everyone is going to church this Thursday to pray to God and special celebrations will be there in all church. Jesus gave his body and blood for us in his last supper and every Christians are remembering this beautiful moment in Maundy Thursday. Here, I am showing the special dishes in pesaha which is coming only yearly once. These special dishes are called as pesaha appam and pesaha paal. We are making this appam and paal yearly once and will cut appam with pesaha paal and celebrating in houses and church in between 6 pm to 9 pm.
We can't make it at home if anyone in our houses or relatives died. Neighbours will give us these dishes at that kind of situations. We have celebrated very nice with neighbours today. My mother has been making this appam and pal since my childhood. Today I followed my mother's method and made it very nicely. I haven't changed anything from my mother's method. Only Christians can make it yearly once.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 30 minutes
Rice Flour - 1/2 kg
Grated Coconut - 1
Uzhunnu ( Urad Dal) - 50 gm
Garlic (Small) - 10
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - To taste
Water - As required
- Sock urad dal in water and keep it aside.
- In a blender, add socked urad dal, cumin seeds, salt and water and make it paste.
- Crush grated coconut and add into this paste and mix well.
- Then add rice flour to this and add required water and make it thick batter.
- Pour the batter in a banana leaves and spread it evenly.
- Make a cross by using palm leaves from palm Sunday and place it on the middle of the batter. This appam with cross is called as Kurishu Appam.
- Steam it around 20 minutes in appachembu.
- Make appam in the same manner with the remaining batter without cross.( This appam is called as Indari Appam)
Pesaha Coconut Milk
Preparation Time - 10 minute
Cooking Time - 5 Minutes
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Jaggery - As required
Cumin seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Dry Ginger - 1 small piece
Salt - 1 pinch
Rice Flour - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- In a pan, melt jaggery and keep it aside.
- In another pan, pour coconut milk and melted jaggery and boil it half.
- In a blender, add cumin and dry ginger and make it paste.
- Then add this paste into half boiled coconut milk syrup and stir well.
- Add rice flour and salt when it starts to boil and stir well.
- Then make cross by using palm leaves and add it in this milk.
- Turn of the fire and serve it with Indari appam.
- You can Shallots to make Pesaha Appam.
- You can make pesaha appam by steam or bake.
- You can use Cardamom Powder in Pesaha Coconut Milk to get good taste.