Raw mango curry is very tasty traditional curry which is made by raw mango. It is preparing in some houses in mango season. It is using as the side dish for wedding celebration in some district of Kerala. In some places serving yellow colour mango curry and in some other places using red colour mango curry but these two dishes are really tasty and healthy. This dish contains spicy, sour and coconut taste. To cook it well I have removed the peel of raw mango so that we can mash it well and its taste also will increase. It is an excellent combination with hot rice for lunch. Mango will be available in summer sea dish. We are using both raw mango and ripe mango to make different dishes. Some people like this curry very much and it is my father's favourite curry so we are making it in my houses so many times. He will not add another curry with rice when we make this. It has a thick consistency and it is very old recipe. This was making my grandmother in her house so we are also following the same method of preparation. So many people are not aware about this dish so it will be very useful to them. Its main flavour and smell is cumin seeds and it can make very easily with limited ingredients. This is completely a traditional vegetarian dish and its taste is very different. It has sour taste so it can use instead of using seasoned butter milk. To get more and special taste use mango this has less sour taste. Its sour taste helps to keep this dish for 2 days.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Decoration - curry leaves
Raw Mango - 2
Onion - 2
Green Chilli - 4
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Coconut Oil - 1 Tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Shallot - 2
Salt - To taste
Water - As required
- Remove the peel of mango and cut it as small pieces and put it in a pan.
- Pour water as required and add salt to this.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well.
- Then mash it well by using ladle and keep it aside.
- In a grinder add onion, green chilli, turmeric powder, grated coconut, cumin seeds and curry leaves and make it paste.
- Add this paste into cooked mango and boil it well under low flame.
- In another pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped shallot and stir until fry.
- Then add fenugreek powder and stir well.
- Add this to mango curry and mix well and serve it.
- To get more taste use raw mango this has less sour taste.
- To get more taste and smell use bird's eye chilli instead of using green chilli.
- You can use only shallots instead of using onion.
- Try to splutter mustard seeds in pure and natural coconut oil.