Beetroot is looking very attractive and healthy vegetable. It has a nice dark pink colour and everyone like this colour very much. We can make a lot of dishes by using this vegetable. Beet root wine, beetroot halva, beetroot Cake and beetroot pudding are the main dishes by beetroot. Beetroot stir fry or thoran is one of the easiest recipes which can made at home. It was the special side dish for the wedding celebration before but now a day it is not serving for the special occasions. It is very tasty thoran and we can make it very easily with limited ingredients. This stir fry is very good to children and we can give them for lunch. It contains a lot of health benefits. It is highly beneficial to human eyes and reduces the sugar of the human body. Skin colour will increase if we use it on daily basis. Beetroot will be available on market at any season and its price is less comparing other vegetables so everyone can try this recipe at any time. We have to chop it well then only we will get the real taste of this stir fry. Its taste based on its size and it may change based on its size. It is spicy-less stir fry and completely Kerala style stir fry. I have made this so many times in my house. It has the special and attractive flavour of cumin seeds and also has the mixed taste of coconut and cumin seeds. I have made this in pure coconut oil so it is very healthy dish for everyone. Usually it is serving as the side dish with hot rice for lunch and sometimes we are getting in Kerala restaurants.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Decoration - Curry Leaves
Beetroot - 3
Onion - 1
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 tab spoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To taste
Water - As required
- Remove the peel of beetroot and wash it well and chop it well and keep it aside.
- In a grinder, add chopped onion, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, grated coconut, curry leaves, cumin seeds and salt and crush it.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add chopped shallots and fry it.
- Then add curry leaves and stir well.
- Then add chopped beetroot and stir well for some times.
- Add crushed coconut mixture to this and pour water as required.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame and stir occasionally.
- Turn off the fire when water evaporates completely and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice.
- To get a variety taste use garlic if you need.
- Taste will increase if use only shallots instead of onion.
|Kerala Style Beetroot Stir Fry|