Dry prawn chutney powder is one of favourite and very special dish for everyone. It is mouth-watering chutney because its taste is really great. It will be an excellent combination with dosa, idli, appam and rice for breakfast and lunch. We can serve it based on our preferences. I would like to eat this chutney with mashed jack fruit and rice. Keralites are using this with hot kanji for the dinner. I have used roasted coconut to this chutney so it will have a very good and special smell. Now a day, we are getting this special chutney packet in some super markets but it will not be that much good for our health. We can make it very easily at home and also its taste will be very good and fresh. I like this dish very much and used to have this chutney in hostels. I have followed my mother's recipe and it is mainly used by Keralites. We can make a lot of variety items with dry prawns but this chutney taste is entirely different from others. In some places of Kerala, this chutney is serving as the special dish with rice for Christian wedding celebrations. It has completely traditional taste and smell and it is very simple recipe. I have made little bit spicy chutney because I like spicy dishes but we can control it based on our choice and also we can add coconut based on our preferences. We need not add water to this chutney so we can keep it in a container for long term and can use it as and when required. We can serve it very easily if we keep it in a container and it will be special to guests. Let us enjoy with this tasty Dry Prawns Chutney Powder.
Cooking Time - 5 minutes
Dry Prawns - 1 cup
Dried Red Chilli - 7
Shallots - 5
Garlic - 3
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Black Pepper - 2
Tamarind - A small gooseberry sized ball
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
- Remove the head and tail of dry prawns and wash well and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add sliced shallots and garlic and roast it half under medium flame.
- Then add grated coconut and stir well.
- Then add dried red chilli, red chilli, black pepper, dry prawns, curry leaves and tamarind when grated coconut starts to became small brown colour and roast it well.
- Then add salt mix well and roast it until golden brown colour.
- Turn off the fire and leave it for some time to cool.
- Then put this roasted mixture in a grinder and grind it well until a fine powder.
- Put it in a serving bowl and serve it.
- To get more taste add one piece ginger and roast it.
- To get red colour reduce the quantity of red chilli and add more Kashmiri chilli powder to this.
- Take extra care to add salt to this chutney.
|Dry Prawns Chutney Powder|