Today, I made another variety combination with banana stem that is red cow peas. It is very tasty and protein rich so it is very super combination with this. This stir fry is the combination of protein and fibers. It is very simple so it can make very easily at home. It is completely a traditional recipe and we need not to add more ingredients to make this. I have mixed coconut and cumin seeds which is very tasty. Cumin seeds flavour is giving the tendency to have more food. It is medium spicy stir fry so it can give to children when they go to school. I have used very less quantity of coconut oil to get healthy dish. To get softness and save cooking time sock red cow peas in water overnight. It is mainly using with hot rice but you can use it with appam and chapati. It is really good and tasty recipe.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
Decoration - Curry Leaves
Banana Stem Small Cubes - 1 cup
Red Cow Peas - 1 cup
Shallots - 15
Onion - 1
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Wash banana stem well and cut it as small cubes and keep it aside.
- Sock red cow peas over now night and wash it well next day and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Pour a little salt and water as required and cook it well (don't cook it over)
- Remove the peel of shallots and wash it well and chop it.
- Remove the peel of onion and wash it and chop it well.
- Wash green chilli and chop it.
- In a grinder, add chopped shallots, chopped onion, chopped green chilli, grated coconut, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, cumin seeds and curry leaves and crush it together and keep it aside.
- In a pan, pour coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds when it heats.
- Add curry leaves to this and stir well.
- To this add banana stem cubes and stir well for some times.
- Then add crushed coconut mixture and mix well.
- Pour a little water to this and cover the pan with lid and cook it well under low flame.
- To this add cooked red cow peas and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid again and cook it until water evaporates completely.
- Turn off the fire and mix it well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with curry leaves.
- Serve it with hot rice.
- Red cow peas shouldn't over cook so take care while cooking it.
- You can use bird's eye chilli instead of using green chilli.
- To get more taste use chilli flakes instead of using red chilli powder.
- You can use chopped banana stem to make this curry.