Erissery is a South Indian traditional recipe and it will have some vegetables to make this special dish.Yam, Colocasia, Raw Banana and Pumpkin are some of the main vegetables for this dish. This dish is mainly used by Keralites for their Onam and Vishu festivals. They can't avoid this curry at that time. We can make it by using only one vegetable and mixing different vegetables. It is spicy less dish and very good to our health. I have used Red Cow Peas as the combination which is giving special and variety taste to this dish. I have made different types of Erissery but here I made it with Yam, Pumpkin and Red Cow Peas. It will have a variety smell and fried grated Coconut is giving different taste to this dish. Fried Curry Leaves and Dried Red Chilli are helping to increase the taste. Its main tastes are Cumin Seeds and Grated Coconut. It is completely traditional and natural dish and everyone can use this dish.
Preparation Time - 20 minutes
Cooking Time - 30 minutes
Decoration - Fried Coconut, curry leaves and dried red chillies.
Yam Cubed Pieces - 1 cup
Yellow Pumpkin Cubes - 1/2 cup
Red Cow Peas - 1/2 cup
Green Chilli - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black Pepper Powder - 3/4 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 2 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Dried Red Chilli - 3
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As Required
- Remove the peel of yam and cut it as small cubes and wash it well.
- Remove the peel and seeds of yellow colour pumpkin and wash well and cut it as small cubes.
- Sock red cow peas in water overnight and next day wash it well.
- Put it in a pressure cooker and add salt and water as required and cook it well and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add yam Cubed Pieces, pumpkin cubed pieces, turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder, salt and pour water as required and mix well and cook it well.
- In a grinder, add 3/4 cup grated coconut, green chilli, 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds and pour a little water and make it thick paste.
- Add cooked red cow peas into cooked mixture of yam and pumpkin and mix well.
- To this add coconut paste and mix well.
- Pour water as required and cover the pan with lid.
- Cook it well and turn off the fire when it became thick.
- In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Then add 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds and fry it.
- Add chopped shallots to this and fry it.
- Then add curry leaves and dried red chilli pieces and fry it.
- To this add 1/4 cup grated coconut and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder.
- Roast it well until light brown colour.
- Turn off the fire and put it in a cooked curry and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with fried coconut, curry leaves and dried red chillies and serve it with hot rice.
- You can use a little red chilli powder with black pepper powder.
- Green chilli is optional ingredients so you can use it if you need.
- To get more taste add shallots when make coconut paste.