Different types of long eggplant available in market. Mainly we will get it in two colours, one will be in green colour and the other will be in dark pink colour. Brinjal is little bit different from this because it is short and thick But taste is almost similar. Long green eggplant is one of the very good and tasty vegetable. This is cultivating in home for income and homely needs. We need not to take more efforts to cultivate this. It will be available in market at any time and its price is less comparing other vegetables. It is really healthy and tasty vegetable and we can make different tasty dish with this vegetable. Pickle, masala curry, payasam and stir fry are the common and main recipes of long green eggplant. We were cultivating this in my home a long year ago but now we are buying it from outside. Mainly I am using it to make sambar and pickle, also I am making different dishes and every dish are really tasty. But my first recipe will be long green eggplant coconut stir fry always because it is very easy to make. To get the real or exact taste of this stir fry we have to cut it thin and lengthy so that it will look very nice. It is medium spicy dish and better combination with hot rice for lunch but sometimes I am using it as the side dish with chapati. You can serve it with any food as per your choice. It is completely a traditional dish and I followed my mother's method and ingredients. Its main flavours are cumin seeds and garlic. Try to make this tasty dish and enjoy a lot.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Long Green Eggplant (Vazhuthananga) - 2
Chopped Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon
Onion - 2
Green Chilli - 4
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - As Required
- Wash long green eggplant well and cut it as 1 inch length cubes and slice it thin and lengthy and wash it well again and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of onion and chop it.
- Wash green chilli and chop it.
- In a grinder, add chopped garlic, green chilli, turmeric powder, grated coconut, cumin seeds, salt, curry leaves and pour a little water and crush it and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add chopped shallots and curry leaves and fry it.
- To this add chopped onion and saute it well.
- Then add crushed coconut mixture and mix well.
- To this add salt and mix well.
- Then add sliced long green eggplant and stir well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well and stir occasionally.
- Turn off the fire when water evaporate completely and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serving with hot rice.