This is one super tasty dish and it is completely Bengali style dish so I give this name to this dish. This recipe will be very useful to vegetarians and it can use as the side dish with breakfast, lunch and dinner. I got this recipe details from my best friend Mini and I followed the same method. This is her favourite and special dish so she introduced about this curry so I made it and I also like this very much. This is having a variety smell and taste and Potato and Cabbage is really very good combination. Its taste will become double when Red Lentils add and also increase the protein content. This this thick curry and has the flavour and taste of masala. This is super combination with Chapati. This is very simple and easy to make at home.
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Potato - 3
Cabbage - 250 gm
Red Lentils - 1/4 Cup
Tomato - 1
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon Stick - 2 (1/2 inch lengthy)
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 3 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Vegetable Oil - 2 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida Powder - 1 Pinch
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Take medium sized Potato and remove the peel of it and wash it well and cut it as little big cubes and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Wash Cabbage well and chop it.
- Wash Red Lentils well and keep it aside.
- Wash Tomato well and and cut it as small pieces.
- In a pressure cooker add Potato Cubes, chopped Cabbage, Red Lentils, Salt and Water as required to cooking.
- Cover it with lid and cook it well and leave it for sometimes to release the pressure completely.
- Then open it and transfer the cooked vegetables into another pot.
- In a grinder add Tomato pieces and make thick paste.
- Heat a pan and heat Vegetable Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- To this add Cinnamon Stick and and Cloves and fry it.
- Then add Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds and Fenugreek Seeds and fry it.
- Add thick Tomato Paste to this and saute well for 3 minutes.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder and Coriander and saute it well until Brown colour.
- To this add cooked Potato, Cabbage and Red Lentils mix and mix well.
- Add Salt and enough Water and mix well.
- Cover the pan with id and boil well and make thick as desired.
- Then add Garam Masala Powder and Asafoetida Powder and mix well.
- Turn off the fire and transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with Bread, Chapati and Appam.
- You can add Dried Red Chilli to get good taste.
- To get good taste and smell use one Bay Leaf.
- You can make this dish without Red Lentils but I used it to get thickness.