'Teeyal' this name is very familiar for vegetarians because they are using this dish comparing others. We can make this type of dish with Bitter Gourd, Onion, Green Chilli and Brinjal. This dish will have the taste of spice, sour and salt. In this article, I am going to show how to make Teeyal with Bitter Gourd. This dish has the taste of roasted masala and Grated Coconut. This is usually serving as the side dish with hot plain Rice for lunch. This dish is having attractive Red colour. This is completely a traditional dish and it is mainly prepared by Hindu families. I like traditional tasty dishes so I am making this dish in my home. You can make this dish with natural ingredients and enjoy with this tasty dish.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Bitter Gourd - 1
Shallots - 15
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 1 tab spoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Tamarind Pulp - 1 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Fenugreek Powder - 1 pinch
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Cut Bitter Gourd into two pieces and remove the seeds from inside and wash well with Water.
- Cut it half inch lengthy and thin and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of Shallots and wash well and cut it thin and lengthy.
- Wash Green Chilli and cut it thin and round shape.
- Put Tamarind Pulp in a grinder and add a little Lukewarm Water and make it thick and fine paste.
- Put Grated Coconut in a pan and roast it until golden Brown colour under medium flame.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder and Black Pepper Powder and saute it well for sometimes.
- Turn off the flame and leave it for cool.
- Put it in a grinder and add a little Water and make thick and fine paste.
- Heat Coconut Oil in a pan and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- To this add Curry Leaves and stir well.
- Then add chopped Shallots and Green Chilli pieces and saute well.
- To this add Fenugreek Powder and mix well.
- Then add Bitter Gourd pieces to this and add Salt to taste and saute it well for 5 minutes.
- To this add Coconut Masala paste and mix well.
- Then add Tamarind Pulp paste and mix well.
- Pour enough Water to this and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame and make it thick as desired.
- Turn off the fire and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and serve it with hot plain Rice.
- To get good taste add chopped Ginger and chopped Garlic.
- You can use Coconut Pieces to get good and attractive taste.
- You can use fried Red Chilli to this if you need.
- Sock it in Vinegar Water for 15 minutes to remove Bitter Taste of Bitter Gourd.