Traditional dishes are very tasty and highly demanded item always. We can make traditional dishes with vegetables and non-vegetables. Dishes will be changing different places because methods of preparations will be different. Every place will have its own traditional and special dishes. South Indians have many tasty traditional dishes especially Keralites. I am using traditional dishes on daily basis because it is very good to health. Many hotels are there in Gulf countries with Kerala special tasty traditional dishes.
I would like to share traditional Kerala style Onion curry without Coconut through this article. Normally we are making traditional dish with Coconut but here I have not used Coconut but taste is similar to that. We can make this with limited ingredients and I used Poppy Seeds paste to get good thickness for this dish. It is medium spicy dish and Tomato increases its taste. I am preparing this dish sometimes and it is super combination with Chapati. This recipe is very useful for vegetarians. Its main attraction is its taste. This is very easy method so it can make easily at home so we need not to spend more time for making this. This will be helpful when you need to make any vegetarian dish.
Cooking Time - 25 Minutes
Onion - 4
Tomato - 1
Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Green Chilli - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 3 teaspoon
Poppy Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Coconut Oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and slice it thin and lengthy.
- Wash Tomato well and chop it.
- Wash Green Chilli well and chop well.
- Sock Poppy Seeds in water to become soft.
- Then put it in a blender and add some Curry Leaves and make it thick and fine paste.
- Heat a pan and heat Coconut Oil in it and splutter Mustard Seeds.
- To this add Curry Leaves and stir well.
- Add chopped Ginger and chopped Garlic to this and fry well.
- Then add chopped Green Chilli and saute it well.
- Add Poppy Seeds and Curry Leaves paste to this and saute well.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder and Coriander Powder and saute well.
- Add chopped Tomato and Salt and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Add sliced Onion into this and saute it well for 2 minutes.
- Pour enough Water to this and mix well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it well under medium flame and make it thick as desired.
- Turn off the fire and mix well and transfer it in a serving bowl.
- Serve it with Rice, Chapati and Bread.