Red Lentil dishes are the favourite item for North Indians. Now a day, Keralites also making different types of Lentils dishes. These types of dishes are available in hotels. I am making Red Lentils dishes in different ways and I like these types of dishes very much. Here, I am showing South Indian style spicy Red Lentil Curry so I used Curry Leaves. It has attractive taste and smell so I am very much happy to share. This is thick dish and I made it by using only natural ingredients. This is spicy dish and this is completely my mother's recipe. This is pure vegetarian and Protein rich dish.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 30 Minutes
Decoration - Fried Shallots, Curry Leaves and Bird's Eye Chilli
Red Lentils - 1 Cup
Split Yellow Gram - 1 tab spoon
Onion - 2
Ginger Paste - 1 teaspoon
Garlic Paste - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 3 teaspoon
Coriander Powder - 2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds Powder - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Yogurt - 1/4 Cup
Ghee - 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Shallots - 1 teaspoon
Bird's Eye Chilli - 10
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - As required to cooking.
- Wash both Red Lentils and Split Yellow Gram with Water and keep it aside.
- Remove the peel of Onion and wash well and chop it.
- In a pressure cooker, put washed Red Lentils and Split Yellow Gram and add chopped Onion, Turmeric Powder, some Curry Leaves, Salt and enough Water to cook and mix well.
- Cover the pressure cooker with lid and cook it well under medium flame.
- Leave it for sometimes to release the pressure completely.
- Then open the pressure cooker and mix well and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and heat Ghee and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- To this add chopped Shallots and fry it.
- Then add Ginger and Garlic paste and saute well until remove the raw taste and smell.
- To this add Green colour Bird's Eye Chilli and Curry Leaves and saute well.
- Turn down the fire and add Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder and Cumin Seeds Powder and saute well.
- To this add cooked Red Lentils and Split Yellow Gram mix and mix well.
- Boil it well and make it thick as desired under medium flame.
- Then add Garam Masala Powder and mix well.
- Turn down the flame and add Yogurt to this and mix well.
- Turn off the fire when it starts to boil and mix well.
- Transfer it in a serving bowl and decorate with Fried Shallots, Curry Leaves and Bird's Eye Chilli and serve with Chapati, Bread and Appam.
- To increase the taste of this dish use chopped Tomato.
- You can make this dish with only Red Lentils and taste won't change.
- You can use only Shallots instead of using Onion.
- You have to choose thick Yogurt with less sour taste to make this dish.
- You can use any refined oil or Coconut Oil instead of using Ghee.
- To get good smell and freshness use a little Coriander Leaves.