Tapioca Black Chickpeas is one tasty Kerala style traditional dish. It is made by mixing both Tapioca and Black Chickpeas. Tapioca is one popular and famous item which is mainly used by Keralites so it will be available in houses and markets. Usually Tapioca dish is using with any non-vegetarian dish but this combination is also really good and tasty. Many people don't know about this dish so this will be helpful for everyone. I made it very easily and you will have a tendency to make it again and again if you taste it once. It can be used for both vegetations and non-vegetarians. It can use as the main dish for breakfast. But you can serve it at any time whenever you need. Its taste will increase if you serve it with Onion Salad and Lemon Pickle. This is completely a healthy dish because I used only natural ingredients. This is medium spicy dish so it can be useful for everyone including kids.
Preparation Time - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 40 Minutes
Tapioca - 1 kg
Black Chickpeas - 250 gm
Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Chopped Garlic - 1 teaspoon
Onion - 2
Shallots - 15
Green Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tab spoon
Coriander Powder - 2 tab spoon
Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup
Coconut Oil - 1 tab spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt - To Taste
Water - Required for cooking.
- Peel the skins of Tapioca (both Brown and White peels) and cut it as small pieces and it well with Water for 3 times and put it in a big pot.
- Add Salt to taste and pour enough Water for cooking.
- Cover the pot with lid and cook it well under medium flame.
- Drain Water completely after cooking it well and keep it aside.
- Sock Black Chickpeas overnight and wash it well and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Add Salt and enough Water for cooking and cover it and cook well and leave it for sometimes to release pressure completely.
- Remove the peels of Onion and Shallots and wash well and chop it.
- Wash Green Chilli and wash well and chop it.
- In a grinder, add Grated Coconut, chopped Ginger, chopped Garlic, chopped Onion, chopped Green Chilli, 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder, some Curry Leaves and Salt and crush well.
- Heat a medium size pan and heat Coconut Oil and splutter Mustard Seeds in it.
- Add chopped Shallots into this and fry it.
- Add Curry Leaves and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Turn down the fire and add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder and Black Pepper Powder and saute well for sometimes to remove raw smell and taste.
- To this add cooked Black Chickpeas and mix well
- Cover it and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Pour Coconut Milk into this and add Garam Masala Powder when it starts to boil.
- Turn off the fire and mix well and keep it aside.
- In a big pan, add cooked Tapioca, crushed Grated Coconut mixture and cover it and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked Black Chickpeas curry into this and cover it and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then mix and mash well with wooden ladle and turn off the fire.
- Serve it hot in a serving bowl.
- You have too choose good Tapioca to make this dish.
- Don't overcook Black Chickpeas when make this dish.
- You have to make Black Chickpeas curry thick so pour enough Water when make Black Chickpeas curry.
- You have to serve hot to get good taste.
- You can serve it with Salad and Pickle.